Adolescent literacy in the era of the Common Core : from research into practice
- Cambridge, Massachusetts : Harvard Education Press, 
- Physical description
- 291 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
LB1632 .A269 2013
- Unknown LB1632 .A269 2013
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Bridging content and literacy knowledge and instruction: a framework for supporting secondary teachers and students / Jacy Ippolito and Joshua Fahey Lawrence
- 2. Research in disciplinary literacy: challenges and instructional opportunities in teaching disciplinary texts / Emily Phillips Galloway, Joshua Fahey Lawrence, and Elizabeth Birr Moje
- 3. Disciplinary literacy in practice: the disciplinary literacy network as a vehicle for strengthening instruction across content areas / Lisa Messina
- 4. Research in vocabulary: word power for content-area learning / Joshua Fahey Lawrence, Bridget Maher, and Catherine E. Snow
- 5. Vocabulary in practice: creating word-curious classrooms / Christina L. Dobbs
- 6. Research in discussion: effective support for literacy, content, and academic achievement / Catherine J. Michener and Evelyn Ford-Connors
- 7. Discussion in practice: sharing our learning curve / Abigail Erdmann and Margaret Metzger
- 8. Research in digital literacy: tools to support learning across the disciplines / Joshua Fahey Lawrence, Mark Warschauer, Binbin Zheng, and Diana Mullins
- 9. Digital literacy in practice: achieving a cosmopolitan orientation / Ann Mechem Ziergiebel
- 10. Research in multiple texts and text support / Cynthia Shanahan
- 11. Multiple texts in practice: fostering accessibility, engagement, and comprehension / Joanna Lieberman and Janet Looney
- 12. Research in writing: the rightful place of writing-to-learn in content teaching / Vicki A. Jacobs
- 13. Writing in practice: strategies for use across the disciplines / Carol Booth Olson and Catherine D'Aoust
- 14. Professional learning as the key to linking content and literacy instruction / Jacy Ippolito
- 15. Meeting the challenge of the Common Core State Standards / Jacy Ippolito and Colleen Zaller.
- Publisher's Summary
- Adolescent Literacy in the Era of the Common Core provides school leaders, teachers, and others with strategies and best practices for advancing adolescent literacy in the classroom. Exceptionally clear and accessible, the book addresses a full range of topics in this vitally important field, including disciplinary literacy; vocabulary instruction; classroom discussion; motivation and engagement related to digital literacy; the use of multiple texts; and writing to learn. This book presents "usable knowledge" of the highest order and of immediate value to school leaders and teachers. It will be required reading for all educators concerned with promoting and furthering adolescent literacy today.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Jacy Ippolito, Joshua Fahey Lawrence, and Colleen Zaller.