Popular culture in Africa : the episteme of the everyday
- New York : Routledge, 2014.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxii, 323 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Routledge research in cultural and media studies ; 58.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction : Popular culture in Africa: the episteme of the everyday / Stephanie Newell and Onookome Okome
- Part I. Theoretical overviews
- On creativity in African urban life : African cities as sites of creativity and emancipation / Till Förster ; "Our tradition is a very modern tradition" : from cultural tradition to popular culture in southwestern Nigeria / Will Rea
- Part II. Gender & sexuality in African popular cultures. Sex and relationship education of the streets : advice on love, sex, and relationships in popular Swahili newspaper columns and pamphlets in Tanzania / Uta Reuster-Jahn ; The other woman's man is so delicious : performing Sudanese "girls' songs" / Eiman Abbas H. El-Nour ; Bingo : francophone African women and the rise of the glossy magazine / Tsitsi Jaji ; "Better Ghana [agenda]"? : Akosua's political cartoons and critical public debates in contemporary Ghana / Joseph Oduro-Frimpong ; Desired state : black economic empowerment and the South African popular romance / Christopher Warnes
- Part III. The place of humor. Standup comedy and the ethics of popular performance in Nigeria / Moradewun Adejunmobi ; Literary insurgence in the Kenyan urban space : mchongoano and the popular art scene in Nairobi / Miriam Maranga-Musonye
- Part IV. Popular discourses of the streets. Music for troubled times : Caiphus Semenya's "Nomalanga" and Zuluboy's "Nomalanga Mntakwethu" / Innocentia Jabulisile Mhlambi ; Archives of the present in Parselelo Kantai's writing / Grace A. Musila ; Heshimu Ukuta : local language radio and the performance of fan culture in Kenya / Peter Tirop Simatei ; Football as social unconscious or the cultural logic of late imperialism in postcolonial Nigeria / James Tar Tsaaior
- Part V. Coda. Lazymen's clinic : a musing on everyday life and research / Ranka Primorac.
- Included Work
- Förster, Till. On creativity in African urban life.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- edited by Stephanie Newell and Onookome Okome.
- Routledge research in cultural and media studies ; 58