And action! : directing documentaries in the social studies classroom
- Swan, Kathy, 1969- author.
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield Education, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xii, 165 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
LB1584 .S935 2014
- Unknown LB1584 .S935 2014
- Hofer, Mark, 1972- author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Setting The Scene A Rationale For Student Documentaries In The Classroom
- 2.Writing With Light Preparing For A Documentary Project
- 3.Getting A Grip Phase 1---Research
- 4.Making The Pitch Phase 2---Documentary Treatment
- 5.Framing The Story Phase 3---Storyboarding
- 6.Quiet On The Set Phase 4---Film Production
- 7.Premiering The Films Sharing Student Work
- 8.It's A Wrap Parting Thoughts To Executive Producers.
- This book provides social studies educators with the background knowledge, conceptual understanding, and tools necessary to design and facilitate classroom documentary projects in the K-12 social studies classroom. The authors have spent more than ten years in classrooms working collaboratively with teachers to design and research classroom documentary projects. Recognizing the challenges of this kind of work, the authors partnered with filmmakers, historians, educational technologists, and classroom teachers with experience in leading documentary projects to refine a production process that more closely mirrors the work of filmmakers. With this book, the authors draw on all of these experiences to assist social studies educators to efficiently and effectively structure and assess documentary projects.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Kathy Swan and Mark Hofer.
- Includes index.