Emergent science : teaching science from birth to 8
- Johnston, Jane, 1954- author.
- Abingdon, Oxon : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2014.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxx, 239 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
LB1140.5 .S35 J66 2014
- Unknown LB1140.5 .S35 J66 2014
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction Part 1 Development Chapter 1: The Development of Emergent Skills Chapter 2: The Development of Emergent Thinking Chapter 3: The Development of Emergent Attitudes Part 2 Contexts Chapter 4: Learning Science At Home Chapter 5: Learning Science in The Curriculum Chapter 6: Transitions Between Stages of Development Part 3 Pedagogy Chapter 7: Scientific Play Chapter 8: Scientific Explorations and Discovery Chapter 9: Scientific Investigations.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Emergent Science is essential reading for anyone involved in supporting scientific learning and development with young children aged between birth and 8. Drawing on theory, the book helps to develop the essential skills needed to understand and support science in this age range. The book is organised into three parts: development, contexts and pedagogy, exploring the underpinning theory alongside practical ideas to help trainees, teachers and childcare practitioners to create high-quality science experiences for the children they teach. The text includes guidance on developing professional, study and research skills to graduate and postgraduate level, as well as all the information needed to develop scientific skills, attitudes, understanding and language through concrete, social experiences for young children. Features include: Reflective tasks-at three levels of professional development; - early career/student, developing career/teacher and later career/leader. Case studies that exemplify good practice and practical ideas. Tools for learning - explain how science professionals can develop their professional, study skills and research skills to Masters level.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Jane Johnston.