Ageing, solidarity and social protection in Latin America and the Caribbean : time for progress towards equality
- United Nations. Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean, issuing body.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- The equality agenda and older persons
- The pivotal role of older persons in the changing demographics of Latin America and the Caribbean
- Social security, solidarity and equality
- Health, care and social protection
- The rights of older persons: gaps and real equality
- Public institutions, ageing and protection
- Progress and priority areas of action for implementing the Brasilia Declaration.
- "Only recently have older persons been recognized as holders of human rights. As a regional body of the United nations, ECLAC has been closely involved in this process, which started in 2003 with the adoption of the Regional strategy for the implementation in Latin America and the Caribbean of the Madrid international Plan of Action on Ageing, and culminated in the adoption of the San José Charter on the rights of older persons in Latin America and the Caribbean in May 2012. This publication aims to contribute to the research, analysis and design of proposals for the social protection of older persons. It develops a new conceptual approach and uses various indicators for its assessment in the areas of social security, health and social services. All human beings must be able to avail themselves of equal rights, without discrimination, and these rights must be enforced through serious, strategic and sustainable commitments which accommodate both present and long-term challenges. Only then will it be possible to develop an approach which includes each and every citizen and contributes to their well-being and security, so that they can make full use of their capacities, regardless of their age or economic activity."--Page  of cover.
- Population aging > Social aspects > Latin America.
- Population aging > Social aspects > Caribbean Area.
- Population aging > Economic aspects > Latin America.
- Population aging > Economic aspects > Caribbean Area.
- Population aging > Health aspects > Latin America.
- Population aging > Health aspects > Caribbean Area.
- Older people > Legal status, laws, etc. > Latin America.
- Older people > Legal status, laws, etc. > Caribbean Area.
- Publication date
- Sandra Huenchuan.
- Libros de la CEPAL ; 117
- "LC/G.2553-P"-- Title page verso.
- "First edition"--Back cover.
- "United Nations publication. Sales no. E.12.II.G.18"--Title page verso.