Identity safe classrooms : places to belong and learn
- Steele, Dorothy M., author.
- Thousand Oaks, California : Corwin, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xx, 208 pages ; 26 cm
LC191.4 .S735 2013
- Unknown LC191.4 .S735 2013
- Cohn-Vargas, Becki, author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword by Linda Darling-Hammond Acknowledgments About the Authors Part I. Getting Started Chapter 1. Welcome to Readers Chapter 2. How to Use This Book Part II. Child-Centered Teaching Chapter 3. Listening for Students' Voices Chapter 4. Teaching for Understanding Chapter 5. Focus on Cooperation Chapter 6. Classroom Autonomy Part III. Cultivating Diversity as a Resource Chapter 7. Using Diversity as a Resource for Teaching Chapter 8. High Expectations and Academic Rigor Chapter 9. Challenging Curriculum Part IV. Classroom Relationships Chapter 10. Teacher Warmth and Availability to Support Learning Chapter 11. Positive Student Relationships Part V. Caring Classrooms Chapter 12. Teacher Skill Chapter 13. Emotional and Physical Comfort Chapter 14. Attention to Prosocial Development Epilogue Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This practitioner-focused guide to creating identity-safe classrooms presents four categories of core instructional practices: - child-centered teaching - classroom relationships - caring environments - cultivating diversity The book presents a set of strategies that can be implemented immediately by teachers. It includes a wealth of vignettes taken from identity-safe classrooms as well as reflective exercises that can be completed by individual teachers or teacher teams.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Dorothy M. Steele, EdD, Becki Cohn-Vargas, EdD ; foreword by Linda Darling-Hammond, EdD.