Globalization and higher education in Albania
- Rexhepi, Jevdet, 1973- author.
- Lanham, Maryland : Lexington Books, 
- Physical description
- xviii, 177 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
LA1040 .A4 R49 2013
- Unknown LA1040 .A4 R49 2013
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 163-172) and index.
- Preface Chapter 1: Introduction Chapter 2: Globalization: A Critical Inquiry Chapter 3: Higher Education Transformation in Albania Chapter 4: Transformation Discourse: Local-Global Intersection Chapter 5: Summary of Findings.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- As national planners codify and enact the university, state, and market alliance-amid global higher education trends towards internationalization, competition, and massification-debates on the efficacy of this merger have increased in recent years, clarifying a real or perceived significance. Bologna has been the conceptual vehicle within which many European nations have sought to reorient often disparate higher education sectors in order to forge the European Higher Education Area, a move replete with social, political, economic, and cultural significance. Yet, the extent to which Bologna has fomented qualitative policy change in developing post-communist nations like Albania remains ambiguous. Globalization and Higher Education in Albania explores how international educational trends mitigate higher education policy and practice in Albania, a nation which continues its complex and evolving transition from communism to a more open society. Based on archival research, original fieldwork, and supplementary interviews with subjects who in many cases work and live amidst Albania's ongoing physical and psychosocial post-communist transformation, Jevdet Rexhepi clarifies how the interplay between global and local forces manifests in key sector policy documents and related frameworks and institutions, and he thoughtfully considers how higher education positions Albania on individual and collective levels to respond to the challenges and opportunities of globalization and the knowledge society.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Jevdet Rexhepi.