Planning for coastal resilience : best practices for calamitous times
- Beatley, Timothy, 1957-
- Washington, D.C. : Island Press, c2009.
- Physical description
- xvi, 181 p. : ill., map ; 23 cm
HT392 .B47 2009
- Unknown HT392 .B47 2009
- Includes bibliographical references (pp. 171-176) and index.
- Introduction : climate change and coastal resilience
- Coastal resilience : what is it?
- The vulnerability of coastal communities
- Coastal resilience : key planning dimensions
- Barriers to coastal resilience
- Understanding the political setting and context
- Principles of coastal resilience
- Tools and techniques for enhancing and strengthening coastal resilience
- Worcester County, Maryland
- Cannon Beach and the Northwest Oregon Coast
- Palm Beach County, Florida
- Charleston County, South Carolina
- New Orleans, Louisiana, and resilience after Katrina
- Brief coastal resilience profiles : La Plata, Maryland : rebuilding after a devastating tornado ; The villages at Loreto Bay, Baja California Sur : a model of a new, resilient, and sustainable coastal town ; Kinston, North Carolina : sustainable redevelopment and green infrastructure ; Solara : solar-powered affordable housing in San Diego County, California ; Maui County, Hawaii : resilient island paradise ; Noisette, North Charleston, South Carolina : large-scale coastal redevelopment with resilience and sustainability at the core
- Conclusion : the promise of coastal resilience.
- Publication date
- Timothy Beatley.