Negotiating cultural encounters : narrating intercultural engineering and technical communication
- Hoboken, New Jersey : John Wiley & Sons Inc., 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiv, 265 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- IEEE PCS professional engineering communication series.
T10.5 .N44 2013
- Unknown T10.5 .N44 2013
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface xi A Note from the Series Editor xiii INTRODUCTION 1 Han Yu and Gerald Savage CHAPTER 1 Changing Times, Changing Style Guides 17 Jennifer O'Neill CHAPTER 2 Concinnity of Assorted Nuts 41 Marina Lin CHAPTER 3 Learning Curve 61 Vaishnavi Thogttluva Vijayaram CHAPTER 4 Lost in Translation 81 Elena Groznaya CHAPTER 5 Collective Learning in East Africa: Building and Transferring Technical Knowledge in Livestock Production 103 K. Alex Ilyasova and Cheryl Birkelo CHAPTER 6 That's Worth Waiting For: GLDD's Spanish JSA Booklet 123 Christina Schulz CHAPTER 7 Making Excellence a Habit across Intercultural Barriers 143 Saurabh Kudesia CHAPTER 8 Crash of Cultures 167 Sam Racine CHAPTER 9 Collaboration on a Pan-European Project Spanning 35 National Research and Education Networks across the European Union 185 Warren Singer CHAPTER 10 Are Chinese Documents Ready for Global Audiences? 209 Melanie G. Flanders CHAPTER 11 Subject Matter Expert Meets Technical Communicator: Stories of Mestiza Consciousness in the Automotive Industry 227 Angela M. Haas CHAPTER 12 My Life as an EFL Trainer/Technical Translator in Shanghai, China 247 Huiling Ding Index 263.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- In today's global economy, effective intercultural communication is a critical skill for engineers and other technical experts. This timely book uses a narrative approach to present the challenges of intercultural communication in engineering, technical, and related professional fields.Each contributor offers first-hand experience and perspectives on the complexities and challenges of working with multicultural teams, international vendors, and diverse customers. Narratives cover a range of design, development, research, and documentation projects, and offer an authentic picture of the global workplace.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- edited by Han Yu, Gerald Savage.
- IEEE PCS Professional engineering communication series