Joseph Brodsky papers from the archives of the Katilius family, 1966-1997
- Brodsky, Joseph, 1940-1996.
- Russian. Primarily in Russian; some material in Lithuanian.
- Physical description
- 4.25 linear feet (8 manuscript boxes and 1 half manuscript box)
Finding aidOnline Archive of California
All materials are stored offsite. Request items 2 business days in advance. Maximum 5 items per day.
M1960 BOX 1
M1960 BOX 2
M1960 BOX 3
M1960 BOX 4
M1960 BOX 5
M1960 BOX 6
M1960 BOX 7
Ask at Special Collections service desk
M1960 BOX 8
M1960 HALF BOX 9
- In-library use M1960 BOX 1
Manuscript Collection: request at Special Collections service desk
- In-library use M1960
- Finding aid
- Finding aid available online
- The papers contain correspondence with the Katilius family; drafts (manuscript and typescript) of Joseph Brodsky’s poems (circa 70 items / circa 100 pages); a collection of poems compiled and typed by Joseph Brodsky himself (100 pages); Vladimir Maramzin’s samizdat collection (text hand-typed and distributed by hand to avoid censorship) of Joseph Brodsky’s poetry in 3 volumes (circa 900 pages); the poet’s drawings (12 items); and photographs (87 items). Ramunas Katilius and Elmira Katiliene have also collected a wide range of printed materials (including copies) about Joseph Brodsky’s public activities, his interviews for different journals, and articles on Joseph Brodsky’s relations with Lithuania.
- Earliest date
- Latest date
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 36 hours in advance of intended use.
- Purchase, 2013. Accession 2013-099.
- The main collection of Joseph Brodsky papers is at Yale, OCLC #702181668. Brodsky papers are also in St. Petersburg at the National Library of Russia.
- This collection of Joseph Brodsky papers are from his friends Ramunas Katilius and Elmira Katiliene, who had a close friendship with Brodsky during the years 1966-1970.