David Hilbert's lectures on the foundations of arithmetic and logic, 1917-1933
- Hilbert, David, 1862-1943.
- Heidelberg ; New York : Springer, c2013.
- Physical description
- xxv, 1,062 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Hilbert, David, 1862-1943. David Hilbert's lectures on the foundations of mathematics and physics, 1891-1933 ; v. 3.
QA248 .H54 2013
- Unknown QA248 .H54 2013
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction.- Hilbert's Lectures on Principles of Mathematics from 1917-18.- Hilbert's Lectures on the Logical Calculus from 1920.- Chapter 3: Hilbert's Lectures on Problems of Mathematical Logic from 1920.- Hilbert's Lectures on Foundations of Mathematics from 1921-22.- Hilbert's Lectures on Logical Foundations of Mathematics from 1922-23.- Hilbert's Lectures on the Infinite from 1924-25.- Hilbert's Typescript on the Foundations of Thought from c. 1925.- Hilbert's Lecture on Infinity from 1933.- Miscellanea.- Appendix A: Bernays's Habilitation Thesis from 1918.- Appendix B: First Edition of Hilbert and Ackermann, 1928.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The bulk of this volume consists of six sets of notes for lectures Hilbert gave (often in collaboration with Bernays) on the foundations of mathematics between 1917 and the early 1930s. The notes detail the increasing dominance of the metamathematical perspective in Hilbert's treatment, i.e., the development of modern mathematical logic, the evolution of proof theory, and the parallel emergence of Hilbert's finitist standpoint. The notes are mostly very polished expositions; e.g., the 1917-18 lectures are in effect a first draft of Hilbert and Ackermann's "Grundzuge der theoretischen Logik" (1928), reprinted in this Volume. They are thus essential for understanding the development of modern mathematical logic leading up to Hilbert and Bernays's "Grundlagen der Mathematik" (1934, 1938). Also included is a complete version of Bernay's "Habilitationschrift" of 1918, only partially published in 1926.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- David Hilbert ; William Ewald, Wilfried Sieg, editors ; Michael Hallett, associate editor ; in collaboration with Ulrich Majer and Dirk Schlimm.
- David Hilbert's lectures on the foundations of mathematics and physics, 1891-1933 ; v. 3
- "David Hilbert's foundational lectures"--Cover.