Deconstructing privilege : teaching and learning as allies in the classroom
- New York : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical description
- xix, 243 pages : illustration ; 23 cm
LC4941 .D43 2013
- Unknown LC4941 .D43 2013
- Case, Kim.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword: Teaching about Privilege: Transforming Learned Ignorance into Usable Knowledge Peggy McIntosh Introduction 1 Beyond Diversity and Whiteness: Developing a Transformative and Intersectional Model of Privilege Studies Pedagogy Kim A. Case Part I: Transformative Pedagogy: Teaching and Learning about Privilege 2 Pedagogy for the Privileged: Addressing Inequality and Injustice without Shame or Blame Tim Wise, Kim A. Case 3 Deconstructing Privilege When Students Resist: The Journey Back into the Community of Engaged Learners Kim A. Case, Elizabeth R. Cole 4 Teaching Social Justice Ally Development among Privileged Students Paul B. Perrin, Srya Bhattacharyya, Daniel J. Snipes, Rebecca R. Hubbard, Martin Heesacker, Jenna M. Calton, Ruperto M. Perez, Jill Lee-Barber 5 "Colorblindness is the New Racism:" Raising Awareness about Privilege Using Color Insight Margalynne J. Armstrong, Stephanie M. Wildman Part II: Intersectional Privilege Studies Pedagogy 6 Teaching Privilege through an Intersectional Lens Abby L. Ferber, Andrea O'Reilly Herrera 7 Intersectionality and Paradigms of Privilege: Teaching for Social Change Cerri A. Banks, Susan M. Pliner, Morgan B. Hopkins 8 Recognizing Privilege by Reducing Invisibility: The Global Feminisms Project as a Pedagogical Tool Desdamona Rios, Abigail J. Stewart 9 Intergroup Dialogue Pedagogy: Teaching about Intersectional and Under-examined Privilege in Heterosexual, Christian, and Jewish Identities Adrienne B. Dessel, Johanna C. Masse, Lauren T. Walker Part III: Privilege in the Classroom: Strategies and Applications 10 Are We Queer Yet? Addressing Heterosexual and Gender-Conforming Privilege Markie L.C. Blumer, Mary S. Green, Nicole L. Thomte, Parris M. Green 11 Class Action: Using Experiential Learning to Raise Awareness of Social Class Privilege Wendy R. Williams, Kala J. Melchiori 12 Teaching the Taboo: Walking the Tightrope of Christian Privilege Kim A. Case, Mike McMullen, Beth Hentges 13 Blazing the Trail: Teaching the Privileged about Privilege Lisa F. Platt.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Although scholarly examinations of privilege have increased in recent decades, an emphasis on privilege studies pedagogy remains lacking within institutions. This edited collection explores best practices for effective teaching and learning about various forms of systemic group privilege such as that based on race, gender, sexuality, religion, and class. Formatted in three easy-to-follow sections, Deconstructing Privilege charts the history of privilege studies and provides intersectional approaches to the topic. Drawing on a wealth of research and real-life accounts, this book gives educators both the theoretical foundations they need to address issues of privilege in the classroom and practical ways to forge new paths for critical dialogues in educational settings. Combining interdisciplinary contributions from leading experts in the field-- such as Tim Wise and Abby Ferber-- with pedagogical strategies and tips for teaching about privilege, Deconstructing Privilege is an essential book for any educator who wants to address what privilege really means in the classroom.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Kim A. Case.