L.S. Vygotsky and education
LB775 .V942 M65 2014
- Unknown LB775 .V942 M65 2014
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -169) and index.
- Introduction Chapter 1: Situating Vygotsky Historically Chapter 2: Reading in Two Languages: A Formative Experiment Chapter 3: Bilingual Subjectivity in the Mediation of Thinking Chapter 4: Living Knowledge in Practice.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Vygotsky's legacy in education is enduring and prolific, influencing educational research and scholarship in areas as far ranging child development, language and literacy development, bilingual education, and learning disabilities to name but a few. In this accessible, introductory volume, renowned Vygtosky authority Luis C. Moll presents a summary of Vygtoskian core concepts, constituting a cultural-historical approach to the study of thinking and development. Moll emphasizes what he considers central tenets of Vygotsky's scholarship --- the sociocultural genesis of human thinking, the consideration of active and dynamic individuals, a developmental approach to studying human thinking, and the power of cultural mediation in understanding and transforming educational practices, broadly considered. After an introduction to Vygotsky's life, the historical context for his work, and his ideas, Moll provides examples from his educational research inspired by Vygotsky's work. With both critical scrutiny of current interpretations of Vygotksian theory and clear deference for the theorist known as "The Mozart of Psychology, " Moll stresses the many ways Vygotksy's theory can offer a theory of possibilities for positive pedagogical change.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Luis C. Moll.
- Routledge key ideas in education series