Educating Latino boys : an asset-based approach
- Campos, David.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin Press, 
- Physical description
- xiv, 250 pages ; 26 cm.
LC2670 .C36 2013
- Unknown LC2670 .C36 2013
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 227-237) and index.
- A Few Words Before Starting Part I. Framing the Scope and Purpose of the Book 1. Introduction Examining the Education of Latino Boys Is Important Latino Boys Have Assets Why Latino Is Used Rather Than Hispanic Summary 2. Cultural Conflict Between Latino Boys and School Unfavorable Perceptions of Latino Boys How Schools Fail to Meet Latino Boys' Needs Boy Behaviors That Do Not Fit With Schools' Expectations Summary "What Can I Do Next?" Implications for the Classroom Part II. Circumstances of Contemporary Latino Boys 3. Data Trends Associated With Latino Boys Demographic Trends Among Latinos in the United States The Academic Achievement of Latino Students The Significance of Teacher Quality Summary 4. The Cultural Background of Latino Boys The Heterogeneity of the Latino Culture Common Latino Cultural Values Summary "What Can I Do Next?" Implications for the Classroom Part III. Social Forces That Affect Latino Boys' School Performance 5. The Differing Kinds of Capital in the Lives of Latino Boys The Challenges of Poverty Physical Capital Human Capital Cultural Capital Social Capital Summary 6. The Balancing Act That Latino Boys Perform The Challenge of Acculturating The Worry Over Immigration The Stress of Learning English Summary "What Can I Do Next?" Implications for the Classroom Part IV. Teachers and Schools Can Enhance Latino Boys' Success 7. Enhancing Latino Boys' Success at School Instructional Practices in the Classroom Fostering a Positive Sense of School Attachment Summary 8. Programs for Latino Boys A Few Words About Program Effectiveness Programs Designed to Help Latino Youth Advocacy Organizations That Work to Empower Latinos Summary "What Can I Do Next?" Implications for the Classroom Final Thoughts References About the Author Acknowledgments Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Promote achievement for Latino boys! Largely misunderstood and often underserved, Latino boys miss key academic opportunities that prevent them from high achievement and success in school and beyond. Educator David Campos, a champion of higher education for Latino boys, provides proven strategies to promote success for Latino boys. "Educating Latino Boys" demonstrates how to: enhance engagement and achievement by addressing Latino boys' needs; explore personal and school-wide beliefs to better understand how to serve this population; develop effective strategies for motivating Latino boys to pursue higher education; and, address challenges that Latino boys face in the home and at school.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- David Campos.