Teaching transition skills in inclusive schools
LC4031 .G687 2013
- Unknown LC4031 .G687 2013
- Cole, Cassandra M., author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 117-120) and index.
- Expanding our thinking about high schools: a unified framework for secondary transition services
- Good transition practices
- A solid instructional foundation for positive postschool outcomes
- Bringing it together: good transition and good instructional practices
- One step further: supporting students with unique needs.
- Publisher's Summary
- How can high schools teach academic content and the critical skills students need to navigate life beyond the classroom? Fitting it all into one curriculum can be a challengea and this book helps you juggle it all, ensuring personalized, student-centered instruction that prepares students with and without disabilities for success. This book introduces a unified framework for transition services in an integrated, cohesive process that gets all students ready for college, careers and citizenship. With six model lesson plans aligned with Common Core State Standards this guidebook helps educators and transition specialists make key improvements to transition services and instructional practices. Youa ll learn the basics of raising expectations for all students through rigorous, personalized, and standards-based instruction improving access to the general curriculum for students with special needs developing meaningful transition IEPs based on studentsa strengths, preferences, and needs blending quality transition services and quality instructional practices into one integrated approach weaving in additional adaptations and accommodations for students with more significant support needs connecting academic content to practical, real-world contexts To help you strengthen your practices right away, youa ll get practical tips and activities, specific examples of embedding transition skills into good classroom instruction, and recurring case studies that follow two students with different support needs and interests. And the included formsa assessment tools, student profile sheets, self-evaluations, and morea will help you gather and organize key information on each student. A must-have guide for all education professionals in inclusive high schools, this book will help you meet Common Core State Standards while fully preparing all students to succeed: in college, in the workplace, and in life. ".
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- by Teresa Grossi, Ph. D. and Cassandra M. Cole, Ed. D.
- The Brookes transition to adulthood series