Physical biology of the cell
- Phillips, Rob, 1960-
- Second edition.
- New York, NY : Garland Science, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxx, 1057 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), maps ; 28 cm
QH505 .P455 2013
- Unknown QH505 .P455 2013
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Part I: The Facts of Life 1. Why: Biology by the Numbers 2. What and Where 3. When: Stopwatches at Many Scales 4. Who: "Bless the Little Beasties" Part II: Life at Rest 5. Mechanical and Chemical Equilibrium 6. Entropy Rules! 7. Two-State Systems 8. Random Walks and the Structure of Macromolecules 9. Electrostatics for Salty Solutions 10. Beam Theory 11. Biological Membranes Part III: Life in Motion 12. The Mathematics of Water 13. A Statistical View of Biological Dynamics 14. Crowded and Disordered Environments 15. Rate Equations and Dynamics in the Cell 16. Dynamics of Molecular Motors 17. Biological Electricity 18. Light and Life - NEW CHAPTER Part IV: The Meaning of Life 19. Organization of Biological Networks 20. Biological Patterns: Order in Space and Time - NEW CHAPTER 21. Sequences, Specificity, and Evolution 22. Whither Physical Biology?
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Physical Biology of the Cell is a textbook for a first course in physical biology or biophysics for undergraduate or graduate students. It maps the huge and complex landscape of cell and molecular biology from the distinct perspective of physical biology. As a key organizing principle, the proximity of topics is based on the physical concepts that unite a given set of biological phenomena. Herein lies the central premise: that the appropriate application of a few fundamental physical models can serve as the foundation of whole bodies of quantitative biological intuition, useful across a wide range of biological problems. The Second Edition features full-color illustrations throughout, two new chapters, a significantly expanded set of end-of-chapter problems, and is available in a variety of e-book formats.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Rob Phillips, Jane Kondev, Julie Theriot, Hernan G. Garcia ; illustrated by Nigel Orme.