Treasures of the royal courts : Tudors, Stuarts & the Russian Tsars
- London : V&A Publishing ; New York : Distributed in North America by Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 2013.
- Physical description
- 176 p. : ill. (chiefly col.), col. maps ; 28 cm.
UPDATE - Library closed July 25 - Sept. 9.
The Library will be closed during its relocation to the new McMurtry Building. Please check out Art materials prior to July 25.
N6765 .T74 2013
- Unknown N6765 .T74 2013
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 169-171) and index.
- From Whitehall to the Kremlin : the diplomacy and political culture of the English and Russian courts / Olga Dmitrieva
- Merchant-class portraiture in Tudor London : 'Customer' Smith's commission, 1579/80 / Karen Hearn
- English limning : the portrait miniature in Tudor and early Stuart England / Katherine Coombs
- 'Armes and bestes' : Tudor and Stuart heraldry / Maurice Howard and Tessa Murdoch
- Sixteenth-century and seventeenth-century English silver in the Kremlin / Natalia Abramova
- Arms and armour / Angus Patterson
- 'Silks, velvets, cloths of gold and other such precious raiments' : clothing and furnishing in Tudor and Stuart courts / Clare Browne
- 'O, those jewels! The pride and glory of this kingdom!' / Richard Edgcumbe
- The Moscow coach : 'a rich chariot, one parcell of the great present' / Julian Munby
- Publisher's Summary
- This beautiful book explores the diplomatic, trade and cultural exchanges between the courts of Britain and Russia, from the reign of Henry VIII to the death of Charles II. Through the material life of the courts, the gifts of the diplomats and the commissions of the monarchs, the book presents an overview of privileged living in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries - illustrating the material life of the leading personalities of the period. Engaging and authoritative, Treasures of the Royal Courts uses superb new photography to illustrate chapters on diplomacy, silver, portraits, miniatures, arms and armour, heraldry, textiles and jewellery by experts from the Victoria and Albert Museum and the Kremlin Museum, Moscow.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Tudor, House of > Art patronage > Exhibitions.
- Stuart, House of > Art patronage > Exhibitions.
- Art, British > 16th century > Exhibitions.
- Art, British > 17th century > Exhibitions.
- Art, Russian > 16th century > Exhibitions.
- Art, Russian > 17th century > Exhibitions.
- Diplomatic gifts > England > Exhibitions.
- Diplomatic gifts > Russia > Exhibitions.
- Great Britain > History > Tudors, 1485-1603 > Exhibitions.
- Great Britain > History > Stuarts, 1603-1714 > Exhibitions.
- Russia > History > 16th century > Exhibitions.
- Russia > History > 17th century > Exhibitions.
- Great Britain > Relations > Russia > Exhibitions.
- Russia > Relations > Great Britain > Exhibitions.
- Publication date
- edited by Olga Dmitrieva and Tessa Murdoch.
- Title Variation
- Tudors, Stuarts & the Russian Tsars
- Tudors, Stuarts and the Russian Tsars
- Published to accompany the exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum.