Poetry mentor texts : making reading and writing connections, K-8
- Dorfman, Lynne R., 1952-
- 2nd ed.
- Portland, Me. : Stenhouse Publishers, c2012.
- Physical description
- xiv, 186 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
LB1575 .D67 2012
- Unknown LB1575 .D67 2012
- Cappelli, Rose, 1950-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 169-171) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Building on the success of Mentor Texts and Nonfiction Mentor Texts, authors Lynne R. Dorfman and Rose Cappelli now turn their attention to poetry. In "Poetry Mentor Texts, " Lynne and Rose show teachers how to use poems in both reading and writing workshops and across content areas. Written in a friendly, conversational tone, this practical book explores a variety of poetic forms, including poems that inspire response, list poems, acrostic poems, persona poems, and poems for two voices--versatile forms of poetry that can be used in every grade.Each of these poetic forms has its own chapter featuring five poems with applications for both reading and writing classrooms. Reading connections present skills and strategies to move students forward as readers, helping them to build fluency, vocabulary, comprehension, phonemic awareness, and phonics. Writing connections help students and teachers discover their own voices and grow as poets and wordsmiths as they try out many poetic forms. Poems help students at all grade levels learn to better address complex reading texts, offering them a chance to dig deeper and use higher-order thinking skills. Additionally, Your Turn writing lessons provide a scaffold for seamlessly moving from modeling to the shared or guided experience and the transfer to independent work. The Treasure Chest offers a brief annotation of the poems discussed in each chapter as well as companion pieces that extend and enhance the work of the reading and writing classroom."Poetry Mentor Texts "helps teachers across the curriculum guide their students to become not only skilled readers and writers but also more empathetic human beings.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Lynne R. Dorfman, Rose Cappelli ; foreword by Georgia Heard.