Democracy and prebendalism in Nigeria : critical interpretations
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Physical description
- xvi, 300 p. ; 23 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword / Larry Diamond
- Introduction: democracy and prebendalism: emphases, provocations, and elongations / Ebenezer Obadare and Wale Adebanwi
- Part I. Governance and the political economy of prebendalism
- The roots of neopatrimonialism: opposition politics and popular consent in southwest Nigeria / Leena Hoffmann and Insa Nolte
- Prebendalism and the people: the price of petrol at the pump / Jane Guyer and LaRay Denzer
- Prebendal politics and federal governance in Nigeria / Rotimi Suberu
- Elite competition, institutional change and political responsibility / E. Remi Aiyede
- Beyond prebendal politics: class and political struggles in post-colonial Nigeria / 'Kunle Amuwo
- Positions of security and the security of position: bureaucratic prebendalism inside the state / Olly Owen
- Part II. Prebendalism and identity politics
- Hausa traditional political culture, Islam and democracy: historical perspectives on three political traditions / Muhammad S. Umar
- Mediating justice: youths, media and 'affective justice' in the politics of northern Nigeria / Conerly Casey
- Decolonization, ethno-regionalism, and the origins of federalism in Nigeria / Olufemi Vaughan
- Radical insecurity and rugged lives: the politics of youth in Nigeria / David Pratten
- Part III. Reconsiderations
- Epilogue / Richard Joseph.
- Publication date
- edited by Wale Adebanwi and Ebenezer Obadare ; foreword by Larry Diamond.