Democracy and prebendalism in Nigeria : critical interpretations
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Physical description
- xvi, 300 p. ; 23 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface - Larry Diamond Introduction: Democracy and Prebendalism: Emphases, Provocations, And Elongations - Ebenezer Obadare and Wale Adebanwi PART I The Roots of Neopatrimonialism: Opposition Politics and Popular Consent in Southwest Nigeria - Leena Hoffmann and Insa Nolte Prebendalism and the People: The Price of Petrol at the Pump - Jane Guyer and LaRay Denzer Prebendal Politics and Federal Governance in Nigeria - Rotimi Suberu Elite Competition, Institutional Change and Political Responsibility - E. Remi Aiyede Beyond Prebendal Politics: Class and Political Struggles in post-Colonial Nigeria - 'Kunle Amuwo Positions of Security and the Security of Position: Bureaucratic Prebendalism Inside the State - Olly Owen PART II Hausa Traditional Political Culture, Islam and Democracy: Historical Perspectives on Three Political Traditions - Muhammad S. Umar Mediating Justice: Youths, Media and 'Affective Justice' in the Politics of Northern Nigeria - Conerly Casey Decolonization, Ethno-Regionalism, and the Origins of Federalism in Nigeria - Olufemi Vaughan The Precariousness of Prebendalism - David Pratten PART III: reconsiderations Epilogue - Richard Joseph.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Celebrating the original publication of Richard Joseph's seminal book Democracy and Prebendal Politics in Nigeria, this state-of-the-field collection brings together leading scholars of Nigeria for a creative and robust engagement with the nation's experiments and experiences with liberal democracy. They explore a range of issues central to Nigerian politics today, including major developments since the 1980s, the role of petroleum, factors related to religion and class, and the question of whether prebendal clientelism is even a useful model for understanding the current state of Nigerian democracy. Across varied methodologies and disciplinary backgrounds, these and other pertinent questions receive a penetrating and comprehensive analysis.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Wale Adebanwi and Ebenezer Obadare ; foreword by Larry Diamond.