Regime change and succession politics in Africa : five decades of misrule
- New York : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical description
- xxii, 274 p. : ill., map ; 24 cm.
- Routledge African studies 9.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -261) and index.
- 1. Regime Change and Succession Politics in Africa: Introduction Maurice Nyamanga Amutabi and Shadrack Wanjala Nasong'o 2. Political Leadership and Development in Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania Fredrick O. Wanyama 3. Ethnicity and Regime Change in Ethiopia Jan Zahorik 4. Beyond Dictatorship in the Democratic Republic of Congo Claver Lumana Pashi 5. The Trajectory of Iniquitous Dictatorship in Zimbabwe: Implications for Democratization in Southern Africa and Beyond Moses Tofa 6. Regime Dynamics and Democratic Consolidation in Lesotho Oscar Gakuo Mwangi 7. Democratic Governance and Human Security in Africa: Discourse on the Fourth Republic in Nigeria Samuel O. Oloruntoba 8. Democratization and the Politics of Self-Succession in Nigeria Dele Ashiru 9. Politics of Change: The Notion of 'Giving' and Feminist Struggles in Uganda Caroline Tushabe 10. The Quest for Gender Parity in Southern African Politics Bertha Z. Osei-Hwedie 11. Regime Change, Succession Politics, and the Language Question Ann Albuyeh 12. The Power of Language and the Politics of Regime Change in Africa Kenneth Inyani Simala 13. Political Imagination and the Battles of Discourses in Africa: Notes on Africa, I Will Fleece You (1992)-- Tears of the Sun (2003) and Beyond the Gates (2006) Olivier J. Tchouaffe 14.'Monopoly Politikos': An Account of a De Facto One-Party State and Lack of Regime Change in Botswana Dithapelo Lefoko Keorapetse.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Bringing together scholars from a wide array of disciplines - including anthropology, economics, history, sociology, and political science - this volume addresses the problems of the regime change and state failure in Africa in the context of the global economy, but from a specifically African perspective, arguing that the underdevelopment of the African economy is linked to the underdevelopment of the continents' nation states.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Maurice Nyamanga Amutabi and Shadrack Wanjala Nasong'o.
- Routledge African studies ; 9